AIFA awarded its first grant in 2014 and has awarded a total of $160,000 to scientific research in Australia. Through these projects AIFA aims to improve the diagnosis and treatment of people living with allergy and other immune diseases. For information on grants awarded: www.allergyimmunology.org.au/projects
We support a range of projects including innovative early stage research and early career researchers (working 3-5 years after completion of their PhD). This allows new projects to get off the ground and provides an opportunity to leverage further funding.
To be eligible for an AIFA grant, the applicant needs to be associated with a non-profit institution in Australia or New Zealand with the facilities to carry out the research detailed in the application. Previously unsuccessful applications may be resubmitted.
Applications are not restricted to ASCIA members.
AIFA grant selection process
- Expressions of interest (EOIs) for AIFA research grants open in mid January each year, with a closing date around mid April.
- The AIFA Grant Selection Panel assesses the EOIs and creates a shortlist. These applicants are requested to submit a full application by mid July.
The Selection Panel consists of eight highly regarded clinical immunology/allergy specialists from around Australia. They support AIFA by volunteering their time and expert judgment.
- The full applications from the short listed applicants are assessed by the Panel and the successful grant awardee/s are notified by mid August. Grants are awarded on merit, with preference for early stage projects. Criteria for rating grant applications are: originality and scientific quality, significance of outcomes, research methodology, team quality and capability.
- At the end of the grant period the successful chief investigator will be required to complete the final report form below so that AIFA supporters will see the outcomes achieved.
- The official announcement of AIFA grant/s takes place during the Australasian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy (ASCIA) Annual Conference in September.
- Projects that have previously been awarded AIFA grants are on the AIFA website at www.allergyimmunology.org.au/projects
Content updated Aug 2018